Scholarship honors memory of music teacher
His wife, Muriel, said she was surprised when more than 600 people attended her husband's wake last August following his death Aug. 18 after a brief illness.
Mr. Maynard began his teaching career at Merrimack High School in 1969 as director of music. In 1975, he became the director of choirs at Manchester High School West, where he taught until he retired in 2004.
"I was in awe of his ability to work with students and really help students to really mature with their voices," said Baines, a longtime friend. "To see the talent he was able to nurture is absolutely phenomenal."
"He was so full of life," she said in an interview.
Two West students — Meghan Gallagher and Mikaela Aherrera — recently received $500 scholarships from the fund to attend the Summer Youth Music School at the University of New Hampshire.
"Music was everything for him," she said.
Baines said Mrs. Maynard hopes other students can flourish.
Donations can be made to the scholarship fund through Centrix Bank, 1 Atwood Lane, Bedford 03110.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 3
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 18
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth