Scholarship honors memory of music teacher
His wife, Muriel, said she was surprised when more than 600 people attended her husband's wake last August following his death Aug. 18 after a brief illness.
Mr. Maynard began his teaching career at Merrimack High School in 1969 as director of music. In 1975, he became the director of choirs at Manchester High School West, where he taught until he retired in 2004.
"I was in awe of his ability to work with students and really help students to really mature with their voices," said Baines, a longtime friend. "To see the talent he was able to nurture is absolutely phenomenal."
"He was so full of life," she said in an interview.
Two West students — Meghan Gallagher and Mikaela Aherrera — recently received $500 scholarships from the fund to attend the Summer Youth Music School at the University of New Hampshire.
"Music was everything for him," she said.
Baines said Mrs. Maynard hopes other students can flourish.
Donations can be made to the scholarship fund through Centrix Bank, 1 Atwood Lane, Bedford 03110.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 9
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383