Inter-Lakes 'Got Lunch' program gets job done
The volunteers, members of the Got Lunch Inter-Lakes program, met Monday morning for the last run of the program's first summer.
"It's important work all summer," said volunteer driver Susan Mielbrecht, who with her partner, husband Ron Mielbrecht, drove food to homes in the district's three towns — Meredith, Center Harbor, and Sandwich — each Monday.
"It puts food on the table that might night otherwise be there," she said.
That's the goal of Got Lunch Inter-Lakes, which was modeled after a similar program in Laconia. The mission is to reach youth who get healthy lunches through school and government programs during the school year, but who might not eat as well at home during the almost-three months of summer vacation.
Food comes from donations from local churches and businesses, and from individuals, said Carla Horne, one of the group's organizers and a Meredith selectman.
"It's basically available to anyone who signs up," Horne said.
"We thought it was an important way to make sure the kids eat well during the summer months."
This year the program ran for nine weeks, giving out the equivalent of 6,150 lunches to 138 children at their homes. The food costs roughly $120 per child, Horne said.
"Next year, I expect us to reach twice as many students," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 2
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 5
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
- Sam Cohen: ‘No compromise’ gun groups shoot themselves in the foot - 12
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 18
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings being evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill