Home » Opinion » Editorials
Rumble, rumble: Is Rte. 125 plan a good idea?
Union Leader Correspondent Jason Schreiber's report on a new plan for rumble strips was in our Friday Union Leader.
A state Department of Transporation manager says national statistics show that rumble strips reduce fatal crashes, apparently by alerting careless drivers that they are drifting out of their proper lane.
"From my perspective, they're a good thing,'' said State Police Lt. Christ Vetter. "While I recognize there could be a potential downside to them, the bottomline is, if you hit it you're in a place you're not supposed to be."
Vetter didn't say, but the state DOT manager acknowledged the possibility of a rumble strip contributing to an accident by startling a driver, although he said he hasn't heard of such an experience.
That reaction may happen a lot more often with the plan for the Route 125 strips to be placed right on the edge of the lane.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Regulatory overkill everywhere - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 33
- John Stossel: Earth Day is more like Earth Daze - 3
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare