Home » Opinion » Editorials
Rumble, rumble: Is Rte. 125 plan a good idea?
Union Leader Correspondent Jason Schreiber's report on a new plan for rumble strips was in our Friday Union Leader.
A state Department of Transporation manager says national statistics show that rumble strips reduce fatal crashes, apparently by alerting careless drivers that they are drifting out of their proper lane.
"From my perspective, they're a good thing,'' said State Police Lt. Christ Vetter. "While I recognize there could be a potential downside to them, the bottomline is, if you hit it you're in a place you're not supposed to be."
Vetter didn't say, but the state DOT manager acknowledged the possibility of a rumble strip contributing to an accident by startling a driver, although he said he hasn't heard of such an experience.
That reaction may happen a lot more often with the plan for the Route 125 strips to be placed right on the edge of the lane.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 26
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 35
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 21
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 3
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'