Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Senate's change in leadership
Under pressure from many angles over potential conflicts of interest between the two jobs, Bragdon announced he would give up the Senate's top spot. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Morse announced he would seek to take it over.
The political atmosphere will likely be different with Morse at the helm.
Will Republican Sens. Nancy Stiles of Hampton, Odell of Lempster and several others continue to be willing to fall on the sword over Medicaid expansion after what happened last week? That bears watching.
The next session should be an opportunity for Democrats and Republicans to put together coalitions. Coming into an election year with several key senators eyeing higher office, everyone is going to want something they can show their constituents.
The next Senate president will be the eighth since 1998; Clesson "Junie" Blaisdell, Beverly Hollingworth, Arthur Klemm, Thomas Eaton, Ted Gatsas, Sylvia Larsen and Bragdon have come and gone in that period.
So far, the commission has heard from Health and Human Services; the Insurance Department; the National Governors Association; the National Conference of State Legislators; and, last week, one group opposed to expansion, two in favor and one neutral.
But other members believe everyone will have an opportunity to participate before the process is completed, by Oct. 15.
As one member said, there is a long way to go before the committee begins deciding what to recommend to lawmakers.
Burton's 10-stop tour will begin at 8 a.m. at Laconia Airport and end at the same spot 12 hours later.
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: State revenue picture still unclear until later this year - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Buffer zone ruling by U.S. Supreme Court fuels abortion feud - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Democrats and Republicans parties round out their next tickets in NH - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH legislative session winding to a close - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Saying goodbye - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: So many NH legislative bills get left at the roadside - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Medicaid tax debate may linger into summer - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Lawmakers enter 'crunch time' - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time for fixing Medicaid tax woes - 1
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount WashingtonREADER COMMENTS: 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride