Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Senate's change in leadership
Under pressure from many angles over potential conflicts of interest between the two jobs, Bragdon announced he would give up the Senate's top spot. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Morse announced he would seek to take it over.
The political atmosphere will likely be different with Morse at the helm.
Will Republican Sens. Nancy Stiles of Hampton, Odell of Lempster and several others continue to be willing to fall on the sword over Medicaid expansion after what happened last week? That bears watching.
The next session should be an opportunity for Democrats and Republicans to put together coalitions. Coming into an election year with several key senators eyeing higher office, everyone is going to want something they can show their constituents.
The next Senate president will be the eighth since 1998; Clesson "Junie" Blaisdell, Beverly Hollingworth, Arthur Klemm, Thomas Eaton, Ted Gatsas, Sylvia Larsen and Bragdon have come and gone in that period.
So far, the commission has heard from Health and Human Services; the Insurance Department; the National Governors Association; the National Conference of State Legislators; and, last week, one group opposed to expansion, two in favor and one neutral.
But other members believe everyone will have an opportunity to participate before the process is completed, by Oct. 15.
As one member said, there is a long way to go before the committee begins deciding what to recommend to lawmakers.
Burton's 10-stop tour will begin at 8 a.m. at Laconia Airport and end at the same spot 12 hours later.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Bills to get fresh looks after House-Senate swap - 3
- Garry Rayno's Under the State House Dome: Fuel tax vote slated in Senate - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: 1 down, 2 to go - 2
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: 'Medicaid expansion' ... sweet by any other name? - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Gun rights groups taking aim at SB 244 - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Gas tax increase still a political hot potato - 5
- State House Dome: House committee to vote on repealing death penalty - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Place your bets on House casino vote - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales