Apr 10, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Father's rabbi speculates: 'If he left Joshua alive, his ex won'
Joshua also would spend Mother's Day, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas with his mother. He would spend Father's Day and seven Jewish holidays with his father in Manchester, according to the plan.
Joshua's mother, now Becky Ranes, is married and lives in Amherst.
Edwin Kelly, administrative judge of the Circuit Court, said Savyon had asked to modify the parenting plan in February of 2012. "He wanted more parenting time," he said.
According to court records, during "a heated exchange" on March 29, 2012, Savyon had told Ranes, "I have snapped. We live in New Hampshire. I have a gun, it's going to be either you or me and Joshua." The court granted Ranes a restraining order against Savyon and ordered him to complete an anger management evaluation "to assess dangerousness."
Last March, Ranes filed for an extension of the domestic violence order of protection, which was due to expire on May 3, according to court records. A hearing was set for Aug. 27 in 9th Circuit Court, Family Division, in Merrimack.
And it was during one of those visits, at the Manchester YWCA, that Savyon shot and killed his son and then himself last Sunday.
Rabbi Levi Krinsky had known the father and son for several years; Savyon brought Joshua to events at the Chabad Lubavitch synagogue in Manchester.
He last saw Muni Savyon the Wednesday before the murder-suicide and said Savyon had just returned from Israel, after the unexpected death of his younger brother there.
"He was losing custody of the only other person in his life, which was Joshua," Krinsky said.
Now, Krinsky said, there are two mothers who are mourning lost sons: Joshua's mother here in New Hampshire and Savyon's mother in Israel.
Then, authorities say, halfway through his 9:30 a.m. supervised visit with Joshua, he pulled out a handgun and shot his son several times before turning the gun on himself.
Asked how he would fix the system for broken families, Krinsky said it's a matter of making children the priority. "A family is the most precious thing we have. We're partners of God. We bring people into the world.
What does Krinsky wish he'd said to Savyon that last day he saw him? "I would tell him simply that every single person that was created on the face of the earth has a purpose and mission in life. The fact that you're born means that you matter in God's eyes.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
- Hollis police use stun gun on man described as unruly - 1
- Rochester man arrested after crash in Somersworth - 0
- Dover man accused of trying to sexually assault a girl - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Police: Boscawen chase involved homeless man at wheel - 0
- Plaistow man in toddler abuse case indicted in jail assault - 2
- Salem man seeks sentence reduction in infant abuse case - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis police say stun gun needed on ‘unruly’ man - 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 6
- Northfield man presumed dead after 'Polar Plunge' in Bristol - 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Premium spike: Obamacare costs NH
Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917