Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Lackey solid as Red Sox top Yankees
Lackey (8-10) allowed a run on six hits in 6-2/3 innings as the Red Sox snapped a three-game slide and moved 1-1/2 games in front of the Tampa Bay Rays, who played the Toronto Blue on Saturday night, for first place in the American League East. David Ortiz added a solo homer and Will Middlebrooks drove in a run among two hits for Boston.
Hiroki Kuroda (11-8) was knocked around for five runs (three earned) and 11 hits in 5-2/3 innings to break up a string of seven consecutive quality starts. Alfonso Soriano had two hits and a stolen base for the Yankees, who fell 6-1/2 games behind the Oakland Athletics for the second wild-card spot in the AL.
The Red Sox had runners on first and third with one out in the fourth when Stephen Drew grounded sharply to first. Lyle Overbay went for the double play instead of the out at home and threw wide of second, failing to record an out as Ortiz scored to begin a three-run rally.
New York got a run back on Ichiro Suzuki's groundout in the fifth, but Daniel Nava doubled and scored on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's single in the sixth before Ellsbury's RBI double to deep right made it 5-1 and ended Kuroda's day. Ortiz slammed his 24th blast to center in the sixth to put it away.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Red Sox 1B Mike Napoli (left foot) was scratched from the starting lineup and is day-to-day. ... Soriano, who tied a major-league record with 18 RBIs over the previous four games, made all four of his plate appearances with the bases empty, including three times leading off an inning. He is 15-for-22 over the last five games. ... Boston RHP Clay Buchholz (shoulder/neck) threw an intense bullpen session with hitters standing in the batter's box prior to the contest. He will pitch a simulated game next week.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celts win, take first place - 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Ice storm threatens the region
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow