Legendary football matchup
Historic events at Gill Stadium included one very snowy Turkey Day
THE SPECTATORS at the 1971 Thanksgiving Day football game at Gill Stadium should not have been surprised.
And when the two best teams in the city are also the two best teams in the state, the fans will show up.
Then-Trinity coach Dick Powers said advance ticket sales hit 5,000 on Wednesday, with the sales outlet planning to continue selling until 8 p.m. and to re-open at 8 a.m. on Thursday. In addition, the Parks and Recreation crews had been working hard to prepare the turf for the teams.
In a 1995 Union Leader article, sports writer John Habib said: "I'm still convinced that Memorial had the edge that day wearing their old navy blue jerseys, which allowed (Memorial quarterback Tom) Kathan to spot his receivers."
Memorial elected to kick. Trinity quarterback Mike Gleason was intercepted on the first play, and Memorial had the ball at the Pioneers' 46, but a stalled drive prompted Kathan to punt to the 2-yard line.
Here's what followed: an onside kick, a Memorial drive that ended in a fumble recovered by Trinity's Chuck Murray, a Trinity punt, a Memorial drive that ended in a Dave Cote interception, a Trinity punt, and finally a Kathan pass to Gene Brown for a TD. Memorial's two-point pass attempt failed and at halftime, it was 12-6.
Weather conditions had worsened and the teams exchanged interceptions, punts, stalled drives and fumbles.
On the day, Trinity achieved only one first down. And Memorial held on to win by that 12-6 score.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dodgers shut out Cardinals in NLCS Game 3 - 0
- Manchester Memorial grad Chris Lambert enters Boston College Hall of Fame - 1
- Finally, Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld gets to meet new son - 0
- Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS - 0
- Conway’s Locke left off Pirates’ playoff roster - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Playoff roster is Farrell's job - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840