Legendary football matchup
Historic events at Gill Stadium included one very snowy Turkey Day
THE SPECTATORS at the 1971 Thanksgiving Day football game at Gill Stadium should not have been surprised.
And when the two best teams in the city are also the two best teams in the state, the fans will show up.
Then-Trinity coach Dick Powers said advance ticket sales hit 5,000 on Wednesday, with the sales outlet planning to continue selling until 8 p.m. and to re-open at 8 a.m. on Thursday. In addition, the Parks and Recreation crews had been working hard to prepare the turf for the teams.
In a 1995 Union Leader article, sports writer John Habib said: "I'm still convinced that Memorial had the edge that day wearing their old navy blue jerseys, which allowed (Memorial quarterback Tom) Kathan to spot his receivers."
Memorial elected to kick. Trinity quarterback Mike Gleason was intercepted on the first play, and Memorial had the ball at the Pioneers' 46, but a stalled drive prompted Kathan to punt to the 2-yard line.
Here's what followed: an onside kick, a Memorial drive that ended in a fumble recovered by Trinity's Chuck Murray, a Trinity punt, a Memorial drive that ended in a Dave Cote interception, a Trinity punt, and finally a Kathan pass to Gene Brown for a TD. Memorial's two-point pass attempt failed and at halftime, it was 12-6.
Weather conditions had worsened and the teams exchanged interceptions, punts, stalled drives and fumbles.
On the day, Trinity achieved only one first down. And Memorial held on to win by that 12-6 score.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Hot stove plus hockey equals cool doubleheader - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Much-loved Lemire was dedicated to city's kids - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: High school hoops preseason jamboree finally a reality - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Monarchs' Morris salutes fans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Stunning ending authored by Brady. - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: A couple of Pioneers are on the move - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Memorial principal explains football time changes - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Joe Sullivan stories recall a great storyteller - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: City champ eyes state title - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840