Legendary football matchup
Historic events at Gill Stadium included one very snowy Turkey Day
THE SPECTATORS at the 1971 Thanksgiving Day football game at Gill Stadium should not have been surprised.
And when the two best teams in the city are also the two best teams in the state, the fans will show up.
Then-Trinity coach Dick Powers said advance ticket sales hit 5,000 on Wednesday, with the sales outlet planning to continue selling until 8 p.m. and to re-open at 8 a.m. on Thursday. In addition, the Parks and Recreation crews had been working hard to prepare the turf for the teams.
In a 1995 Union Leader article, sports writer John Habib said: "I'm still convinced that Memorial had the edge that day wearing their old navy blue jerseys, which allowed (Memorial quarterback Tom) Kathan to spot his receivers."
Memorial elected to kick. Trinity quarterback Mike Gleason was intercepted on the first play, and Memorial had the ball at the Pioneers' 46, but a stalled drive prompted Kathan to punt to the 2-yard line.
Here's what followed: an onside kick, a Memorial drive that ended in a fumble recovered by Trinity's Chuck Murray, a Trinity punt, a Memorial drive that ended in a Dave Cote interception, a Trinity punt, and finally a Kathan pass to Gene Brown for a TD. Memorial's two-point pass attempt failed and at halftime, it was 12-6.
Weather conditions had worsened and the teams exchanged interceptions, punts, stalled drives and fumbles.
On the day, Trinity achieved only one first down. And Memorial held on to win by that 12-6 score.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celts win, take first place - 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Ice storm threatens the region
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840