Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox Notes: Uehara closes gap in bullpen
By appearing in his 55th game this season for the Red Sox, Uehara guaranteed that the option on his contract will vest. Rather than becoming a free agent, the closer is under contract with the Sox for next year.
The Red Sox will be happy to have him. Uehara has been nothing short of dominant, posting a 1.32 ERA and an otherworldly 75-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Since he was installed as closer, he has yielded six hits and allowed one earned run in 24 2/3 innings in 23 appearances, including 11/3 scoreless innings Tuesday night in an 11-inning, 4-2 victory over the Blue Jays.
Said Farrell, “He’s been an outstanding pitcher for us from Day 1. We don’t foresee that changing because of the competitor he is and how talented he is and how he prepares. He’s done one hell of a job in the roles that he’s filled. Gosh, you can’t take away from how efficient he’s been. He’s been a savior for us.”
Clay Buchholz (shoulder) threw what Farrell termed a “lighter side” session, but a bigger test comes today when the right-hander gets on the bullpen mound for a “more aggressive” workout. The Red Sox are hopeful Buchholz will even simulate a break between innings. ...
Once-promising outfielder Ryan Kalish’s injury woes continue. Kalish underwent cervical fusion surgery Monday, his fourth procedure since the 2011 season. Farrell described the surgery as “invasive and drastic,” although the Sox are hopeful Kalish will be ready to play by spring training.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl