All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Man badly burned using water to put out a grease fire in Nashua

NASHUA - A local man suffered serious burns on Wednesday while trying to extinguish a cooking fire at a residence on Harbor Avenue.

According to fire officials, an occupant at 63 Harbor Ave. suffered burns to about 20 percent of his body while trying to douse a grease fire with water.

"This caused the grease to splatter about and on the male victim causing burns to the head, neck, arms and legs," Deputy Chief Michael O’Brien said in a statement.

O'Brien was not immediately available on Thursday to provide additional details, including the name of the burn victim.

A  woman suffered minor smoke exposure from the incident as well, according to a release. Firefighters responded to the multi-family home around 7:15 p.m.

The fire was contained to the stove area, which received minor damage, said O'Brien.

Fire officials are warning residents to never use water to extinguish a grease fire, as the grease will splatter and can cause serious burns. Instead, O’Brien said, a pot lid should be used to smother a grease fire and the pan should be removed from the heat.

"Never run to the sink with a pan of hot grease," he said.



Post or View Comments 

NH Maple Weekend NH Maple Weekend
All Weekend

Sap Gathering Contest Sap Gathering Contest
Saturday, 10 a.m.

45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show 45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show
Friday, 1-8 p.m.,
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.,
Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ales for Tails Ales for Tails
Sunday, 1-5 p.m.

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle