Home » News » Public Safety
Man badly burned using water to put out a grease fire in Nashua
According to fire officials, an occupant at 63 Harbor Ave. suffered burns to about 20 percent of his body while trying to douse a grease fire with water.
"This caused the grease to splatter about and on the male victim causing burns to the head, neck, arms and legs," Deputy Chief Michael O’Brien said in a statement.
O'Brien was not immediately available on Thursday to provide additional details, including the name of the burn victim.
A woman suffered minor smoke exposure from the incident as well, according to a release. Firefighters responded to the multi-family home around 7:15 p.m.
The fire was contained to the stove area, which received minor damage, said O'Brien.
Fire officials are warning residents to never use water to extinguish a grease fire, as the grease will splatter and can cause serious burns. Instead, O’Brien said, a pot lid should be used to smother a grease fire and the pan should be removed from the heat.
"Never run to the sink with a pan of hot grease," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- All safe following early-morning Manchester blaze on West Side - 4
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 4
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry victim of Maine shooting expected to recover - 0
- Derry man facing sex assaults wants trial, rejects plea deal - 0
- Bail set at $20,000 for escapee captured after DWI wreck of stolen car - 0
- Utility truck overturns as vehicles dodge ladder on Route 101 in Exeter - 1
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 3
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'