Home » News » Public Safety
Man badly burned using water to put out a grease fire in Nashua
According to fire officials, an occupant at 63 Harbor Ave. suffered burns to about 20 percent of his body while trying to douse a grease fire with water.
"This caused the grease to splatter about and on the male victim causing burns to the head, neck, arms and legs," Deputy Chief Michael O’Brien said in a statement.
O'Brien was not immediately available on Thursday to provide additional details, including the name of the burn victim.
A woman suffered minor smoke exposure from the incident as well, according to a release. Firefighters responded to the multi-family home around 7:15 p.m.
The fire was contained to the stove area, which received minor damage, said O'Brien.
Fire officials are warning residents to never use water to extinguish a grease fire, as the grease will splatter and can cause serious burns. Instead, O’Brien said, a pot lid should be used to smother a grease fire and the pan should be removed from the heat.
"Never run to the sink with a pan of hot grease," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
- State: Range of staffing issues led to 'bad outcomes' at Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation - 0
- Driver loses control, crashes into four vehicles at Hudson auto body shop - 0
- Chester man taken to hospital for mental health evaulation - 1
- Tilton selectman volunteers to be shocked with Taser - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 9
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 8
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 2
- NHIAA Div. I Boys' Basketball Preview: Memorial, Central look to be in the mix again - 0
- Innovations abound at UNH event - 0
- Rinne wins duel with Rask as Predators edge Bruins - 0
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Monarchs head to Portland Wednesday - 0
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly