UNH ranked in top 20 'cool schools' for sustainability
The seventh annual ranking rates how United States colleges and universities are helping to solve climate problems and make significant efforts to operate sustainability.
"We have been recognized by all of these lists for the last six or seven years, and it's really nice to be recognized for the leadership role that we play," said Sara Cleaves, associate director at the UNH Sustainability Institute.
The University of Connecticut was the top ranked school followed by Dickinson College in Pennsylvania and University of California, Irvine. Green Mountain College in Vermont was ranked sixth and was the only other college in New England to make the top 10.
Other New Hampshire colleges did not rank as well. Dartmouth College ranked 108th, followed by Plymouth State University ranking 150th out of 162 colleges and universities that participated.
"We were really happy with the fact that schools are making the effort to go through our really lengthy survey and respond, not just for our own sake, but to take the opportunity to measure all those things on campus," Andrews said.
Cleaves said how the university invests endowment funds continues to be a discussion point, but said sometimes change is a slow process.
The university is also investing in more courses and curriculum focused on sustainability issues, with more on the way, Cleaves said.
"They want to be at a place that walks the talk and a rating system like 'Cool Schools' is an easy way for students to find that kind of information," Cleaves said. "And we're always honored the commitment we have made to sustainability is recognized by Sierra."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- David M. Shribman: Today, give thanks to Daniel Webster - 1
- George Will: Thanks for the entertainment, America - 0
- John Stossel: Be thankful for American property rights - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 13
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 2
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins - 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man, 86, struck by car while crossing street in Manchester - 0
- Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins
Derry holiday parade to be held today