Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Ex-officer guilty of felony in I-93 crash
Connare avoided a conviction on a drunken-driving misdemeanor charge, as well as two assault-related charges. The trial was held Monday and Tuesday at Hillsborough County Superior Court-North.
"Any conviction on a Class B felony, it's a major accomplishment. It opens the possibility for major punishment," said Merrimack County Attorney Scott Murray.
The crash took place about 7 p.m. on I-93 southbound, just south of the Exit 6 interchange.
At the time, state police said speed and alcohol were contributing factors. Connare, who was off-duty at the time, drove his Mazda A-3 compact into the rear of a Mazda Tribute SUV. Police said Connare's car pushed the SUV off the road and into a bridge abutment. The driver, Hudson resident Heather O'Regan, suffered fractured ribs.
Procedures call for judges to rule on Class B misdemeanors. Superior Court Judge Kenneth Brown rendered the not-guilty verdict on the drunken-driving charge.
"As a tactical matter, if you prosecute a (felony) DWI and you don't prove intoxication, you've got a problem," he said. He said the penalty for a felony DWI conviction is the same as the reckless conduct conviction.
"Obviously, the area where it happened — on an interstate highway — there are serious public safety concerns," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
Red Sox's Holt has All-Star history
- Total Votes: 917