Home » Sports » Sports Awards
Athlete of the Month: Keene swimmer Eve Fabian among the elite
But then, that's exactly what she's known for.
"It was awesome. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. The 25k is a challenging event," Fabian said. "The 5k is only an hour and it was amazing, but this means so much more to me because of what a struggle and a journey the 25k is. It's a five-hour race and a lot goes down. It was a huge goal for me to get to the podium and I'm really proud of that."
"It's a huge mental game. Most of us are 10k swimmers and when we sign up for the 25, it's a huge adjustment. It's incredibly difficult and challenging," Fabian said. "You have to be on your game for five hours, but at the same time very relaxed for the first four and a half. You go through a lot of ups and downs and you have to be prepared mentally for going through those downs and feeling terrible in the middle and knowing you will end up feeling better."
"My dad and Jim Henry at Yale, they were a great resource," she said. "I get a lot of good advice and then I have to use my own instinct. Having been through it once, you have an idea of what is going to go down."
"That race is a journey. You learn a lot about yourself. It will help me as a racer," she said. "I hope to bring that commitment and my experience back to Yale to help my teammates out."
To submit a nomination for Athlete of the Month consideration, email the Union Leader sports department at email@example.com and enter "Athlete of the Month" in the subject line.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 10
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans