Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox edge Blue Jays in 11 innings
After Toronto tied the game in the eighth inning on a J.P. Arencibia solo home run, Victorino emerged as the hero with a sharp single up the middle off Aaron Loup (4-5). Koji Uehara (3-0) recorded the final four outs to secure the win as Boston extended its lead atop the American League East to four games over the Tampa Bay Rays.
After Lawrie hit a double in the fifth inning — the second hit off Dempster to that point — Arencibia opened the scoring by lining a single to left-center, ending an 0-for-23 slump. Toronto nearly doubled the lead the following inning, but Jose Reyes was thrown out at the plate trying to score from second base on a Jose Bautista single to right.
Xander Bogaerts isn’t the only shortstop of the future making waves this season. Former No. 1 pick Deven Marrero was promoted to Double-A Portland Monday. The No. 24 pick in the 2012 draft out of Arizona State has drawn rave reviews for his defense, and he had 21 steals in 23 attempts at High-A Salem this year before getting the call.
Marrero may not have the range of former Sox farmhand Jose Iglesias, but he has drawn comparisons to the defensive wizard because of quick hands, above-average instincts and an accurate arm.
News of his promotion was first reported by SoxProspects.com.
READER COMMENTS: 11
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 8
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0