Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox edge Blue Jays in 11 innings
After Toronto tied the game in the eighth inning on a J.P. Arencibia solo home run, Victorino emerged as the hero with a sharp single up the middle off Aaron Loup (4-5). Koji Uehara (3-0) recorded the final four outs to secure the win as Boston extended its lead atop the American League East to four games over the Tampa Bay Rays.
After Lawrie hit a double in the fifth inning — the second hit off Dempster to that point — Arencibia opened the scoring by lining a single to left-center, ending an 0-for-23 slump. Toronto nearly doubled the lead the following inning, but Jose Reyes was thrown out at the plate trying to score from second base on a Jose Bautista single to right.
Xander Bogaerts isn’t the only shortstop of the future making waves this season. Former No. 1 pick Deven Marrero was promoted to Double-A Portland Monday. The No. 24 pick in the 2012 draft out of Arizona State has drawn rave reviews for his defense, and he had 21 steals in 23 attempts at High-A Salem this year before getting the call.
Marrero may not have the range of former Sox farmhand Jose Iglesias, but he has drawn comparisons to the defensive wizard because of quick hands, above-average instincts and an accurate arm.
News of his promotion was first reported by SoxProspects.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice