9-year-old Joshua Savyon's intelligence, joy recalled
On Sunday morning, during a supervised visit at the YWCA in Manchester, the boy known as "Josh" was shot and killed by his father, Muni Savyon, 54, who then shot himself.
His instructors at ATA Martial Arts in Bedford said on their website that, "Josh was one of the most positive little boys ever to take a class."
"His happy demeanor and desire to learn new things made him the ideal student," they said. "He was a true joy to watch, because he represented all the goodness and innocence of a young boy growing into a future leader."
"When I first heard what happened I was shocked, and I tried to puzzle it out before I talked to my children," said an Amherst mom who asked that her name be withheld. "From there it jumped to what his mom must be feeling. It's awful."
"I was trying to explain something that is unexplainable," she said. But she shared with her children the basics of what happened without getting into too much detail.
The mom spoke to her kids about mental illness and how it can affect people; she and her husband also went to great lengths to ensure the children that they were in a healthy, solid environment.
According to Warburton, School Administrative Unit 39, which oversees schools in Amherst and Mont Vernon, is currently working to provide grief counseling to students, staff and parents. More information will be posted on the SAU website at www.sprise.com as it becomes available.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.