Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Yes, it’s time to talk playoffs with this edition of the Sox
Some treat the word as if it’s Swahili. Others bulge their eyes, flare their nostrils and contemplate staking you like a vampire. A few pull the fingers-in-the-ears, “La la la, I can’t hear you!” routine.
Disclaimer: This isn’t to say they’re a 100 percent lock to make the playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed. Maybe they’re struck by catastrophic injuries. Maybe they run into a streak of incredibly bad luck. Maybe the Orioles and Rays catch fire.
An examination of the organization from top-to-bottom reveals a team that has been constructed almost as a point-by-point correction to 2011. Every issue that conspired to sink that team has been addressed, starting at the top. Just consider the following:
•The second wild card: This one’s kind of obvious, but had it existed in 2011, the Red Sox would’ve lived to fight another day. They almost certainly would’ve gotten their heads handed to them by the Rays, but at least they would’ve qualified for the playoffs.
Add it all together, and it feels safe to talk about the playoffs, because the Red Sox have put themselves in a strong position to get there.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 43
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child