Deroy Murdock: Republicans should defund Obamacare now
Republican Sens. Mike Lee of Utah, Marco Rubio of Florida, Rand Paul of Kentucky and Ted Cruz of Texas are leading a valiant effort to pass legislation in September that will finance the federal government, as is, but zero out Obamacare, officially called the Affordable Care Act. Short of repeal, which President Barack Obama would veto, this may be the last exit before Obamacare's New Year's Day implementation. Once this beast is unleashed, its fire-breathing destruction could become uncontainable.
"One major problem is the so-called Independent Payment Advisory Board. The IPAB is essentially a health care rationing body. ... The IPAB will cause frustration to providers and patients alike, and it will fail to control costs."
Thus wrote former presidential candidate and Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean, M.D., in July 29's Wall Street Journal. He likes aspects of Obamacare, but considers the board a clinical wrecking ball.
"One thing that we hear in the commentary that we get ... is that some employers are hiring part time in order to avoid the mandate" for insuring staffers who work more than 30 hours weekly, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke testified July 17 on Capitol Hill.
The term "Affordable Care Act" has become a sick punch line.
Deroy Murdock is a columnist with Scripps Howard News Service, a Fox News contributor and a media fellow with Stanford University's Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace. His email is Deroy.Murdock@gmail.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads