Home » Opinion » Editorials
Good gun decision: Loaded actually means loaded
Manchester District Court Judge Gregory Michael, giving the police a great benefit of the doubt, said the law was “potentially ambiguous’’ on the point and bucked it up to the Supreme Court. The AG should have moved to not waste taxpayer money, but instead did so by arguing the case.
The AG argued that “with’’ should be interpreted broadly as “denoting nearness, agreement or connection.’’
Does “next to’’ count? How about “really, really close?’’
Fortunately, the court saw this not as a close case at all. Loaded means loaded, it said. We are reminded here of the woman’s reply when W.C. Fields, in the “Bank Dick’’ movie, asked if her little boy’s toy gun was loaded.
“We would have preferred it go the other way,’’ said Assistant AG Nicholas Cort, who argued the losing case.
We think the majority of his bosses, the citizens of New Hampshire, are glad that it did not go his way.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ayotte says medical device tax a crusher - 22
- Aetna expects to lose money on Obamacare exchanges despite recent pickup in business - 2
- Feds to look at Obamacare networks after Shea-Porter request - 27
- Shea-Porter tells Obama 'some people' should resign over flawed ACA roll-out - 18
- Congressional Budget Office says Obamacare will cost nation 2M jobs - 17
- Congressional Budget Office estimates Obamacare will cost nation 2.3M jobs - 88
- Youth participation low in ACA signups - 11
- Lawsuit targets Congress' health subsidy - 2
- Obama administration changes rules to allow an extra day to sign up for health care - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon
Rondo leads Celtics past Nets
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief