Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Are backyard chickens like gateway drugs?
That is, if you are one of those people interested in the latest, hottest new trend of raising hens in your backyard so that you can have eggs, try 'em before you fly 'em. That way, you won't have too much egg on your face.
The hen one said that people are intrigued by the idea of raising chickens, but they aren't sure how much trouble they will be, whether the prospective owner will be able to care for them (brushing hen's teeth, for example), or whether the neighbors will mind.
According to the NPR (National Poultry Radio) report, some neighbors are suspicious that chickens just may be like marijuana, a kind of "gateway drug'' that will lead to goats, cows and all kinds of critters. Sort of a chicken-leads-to-pot kind of thing.
Lawns and goats do, of course.
You know it's the dog days of August in the news business when the networks start reporting on how the government is using goats to trim back the greenery at federal cemeteries.
"You don't have to clean up after a lawn mower. Who cleans up after the goats?''
Meanwhile, state Fish and Game wants us all to be on the lookout for wild turkeys. If you see something, say something. OK, Ted Walski, take this down. Two wild turkeys four miles up on the Cog Railway base road last Monday. Two more on the Everett Turnpike southbound about a mile after the Bedford tolls last Thursday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
- At FIRST, it's all about learning and helping each other - 0
- Liquor Commission contract sets performance standards - 0
- Pease, Portsmouth await decision on major aerial refueling project - 0
- GRS cooperative voters support board's plan - 0
- Pembroke School District voters pass $24.6m budget - 0
- Police make arrest in Pembroke embezzlement case - 0
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?