Ted Siefer's City Hall: Downtown parking spaces become pressing matter
The Bedford lot is the more desirable property, in the heart of the Millyard, and it has been the subject of months of study by a Florida consultant hired by the city. Is there demand for parking in the area? Yes, there is, the consultant, Peter Flotz of the Lansing Melbourne Group, concluded. Is the site suitable for a large multi-story building? Yes, it is.
No, Castagna insists. The other parties were "unsolicited," he said. "They came to me through business contacts."
Castagna notes that the concept for student housing in the area grew out roundtable discussions he led five years ago, concerning how to revitalize the northern stretch of Elm Street downtown. Castagna said Vitas approached him earlier in the year about the student housing concept, and the Pearl Street site seemed like a natural fit.
As the meeting approached, Castagna said, he felt an obligation to let the aldermen know that other companies interested in the site had more experience in what was a unique and novel form of development, private student housing. One was ready to pay quite a bit more than Vitas had offered for the lot. Attempts to reach Vitas were unsuccessful.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police looking at a possible shift in Maras - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Discussion of tax cap override laced with drama - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Fate of hockey arena put on ice for time being - 3
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Chorus of grumbling grows over Manchester school administration - 10
- City Hall: A half-cheer for beer; Alderman Levasseur drops lawsuit against Greazzo - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Taxing issue resolved, but alderman still angry - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: With Gatsas back, aldermen increase fees, tighten exemptions - 5
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Hirschmann leery of business group's ice arena takeover - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform