Ted Siefer's City Hall: Downtown parking spaces become pressing matter
The Bedford lot is the more desirable property, in the heart of the Millyard, and it has been the subject of months of study by a Florida consultant hired by the city. Is there demand for parking in the area? Yes, there is, the consultant, Peter Flotz of the Lansing Melbourne Group, concluded. Is the site suitable for a large multi-story building? Yes, it is.
No, Castagna insists. The other parties were "unsolicited," he said. "They came to me through business contacts."
Castagna notes that the concept for student housing in the area grew out roundtable discussions he led five years ago, concerning how to revitalize the northern stretch of Elm Street downtown. Castagna said Vitas approached him earlier in the year about the student housing concept, and the Pearl Street site seemed like a natural fit.
As the meeting approached, Castagna said, he felt an obligation to let the aldermen know that other companies interested in the site had more experience in what was a unique and novel form of development, private student housing. One was ready to pay quite a bit more than Vitas had offered for the lot. Attempts to reach Vitas were unsuccessful.
READER COMMENTS: 13
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester Supt. Livingston won't explain modified school standards - 0
- Manchester aldermen go extra, roundabout mile to see firefighter hired - 3
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester school board should be proud of its accomplishments - 1
- Manchester police looking at a possible shift in Maras - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Discussion of tax cap override laced with drama - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Fate of hockey arena put on ice for time being - 3
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Chorus of grumbling grows over Manchester school administration - 10
- City Hall: A half-cheer for beer; Alderman Levasseur drops lawsuit against Greazzo - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Taxing issue resolved, but alderman still angry - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 4
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 3
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Alderman seeks to halt accidents, install traffic signals at busy Manchester intersection