Ted Siefer's City Hall: Downtown parking spaces become pressing matter
The Bedford lot is the more desirable property, in the heart of the Millyard, and it has been the subject of months of study by a Florida consultant hired by the city. Is there demand for parking in the area? Yes, there is, the consultant, Peter Flotz of the Lansing Melbourne Group, concluded. Is the site suitable for a large multi-story building? Yes, it is.
No, Castagna insists. The other parties were "unsolicited," he said. "They came to me through business contacts."
Castagna notes that the concept for student housing in the area grew out roundtable discussions he led five years ago, concerning how to revitalize the northern stretch of Elm Street downtown. Castagna said Vitas approached him earlier in the year about the student housing concept, and the Pearl Street site seemed like a natural fit.
As the meeting approached, Castagna said, he felt an obligation to let the aldermen know that other companies interested in the site had more experience in what was a unique and novel form of development, private student housing. One was ready to pay quite a bit more than Vitas had offered for the lot. Attempts to reach Vitas were unsuccessful.
READER COMMENTS: 50
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: School board gives cool nod to STEAM - 13
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester elections held thrill of victory and near victory - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: World Series it wasn't, but debate had some hits - 6
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was a week of finger-pointing in Manchester politics - 67
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Mayoral debate came down to a question of project financing - 9
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Candidate Beauchamp declines to discuss his past - 3
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Greazzo's attention to detail keeps board honest - 8
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Candidates remain casual about campaign finance rules - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Primary over, Manchester races getting interesting - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans