Exeter swimmer 'heartbroken' by ban from world meet
"I feel numb and completely shocked with the turn of events," she said. "The definite reasons given to make the ineligible decision come to pass were not clear and do not seem fair."
Arlen said that this year, Victoria's qualifying times had been superior.
Victoria Arlen was struck with the rare neurological disorder transverse myelitis when she was 11 years old. The disease put her in a coma for two years and left her unable to use her legs. She taught herself to swim without using her legs.
A report prepared by Dr. Michael Levy of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore found her disabled.
But Levy held out hope that science, therapy and the resolve that made her a world-class athlete might someday restore mobility to the legs Arlen has been unable to use for more than seven years.
An appeals board upheld the ruling.
An additional report from Levy explaining his finding did not alter the IPC decision.
The IPC decision was condemned by New Hampshire's U.S. Sens. Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen.
"My heart has been ripped out," he said. "I have the same feeling right now as when my daughter was in the ICU and I couldn't help her. That's how I feel today."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
- Vin Sylvia: After Ellsbury: Give the kids a chance - 0
- Penmen follow simple theme - 0
- Last Huddle for Lenahan today - 0
- Monarchs back to work for three-game weekend - 0
- Army captain stops LaMotte in mixed martial arts bout - 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Ayotte tours Dover camping gear firm - 0
- Newton boy badly hurt when struck by SUV while walking - 0
- Police recover stolen SUV investigating burglary - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840