NH Veterans Home residents are adjusting to no-smoking policy
Commandant Margaret LaBrecque said residents were notified of the change in July of 2012, giving them a year's notice of the change.
Of the home's nearly 200 residents, nine are still smoking and have been "grandfathered" to allow them to smoke outside in a small covered area, she said.
The home decided to end smoking on its campus after home officials learned of incidents at other health-care facilities in the country in which people have died or been seriously injured while smoking near oxygen or other flammable medical equipment.
There were 10 holdout smokers, but one has quit since the policy was officially implemented on July 1, LaBrecque said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: '3-G' may go, but 'Memories 2' is coming - 0
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 0
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 0
- Scene in Manchester: City Food Co-op is a fresh idea - 0
- UNH Notebook: Holy Toledo! Only 130 days until football opener - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Suraj K. Budathoki: I am at last happy, for I am at last an American - 0
- Rex Huppke: I, robot employee, work from the couch (wearing shorts) - 0
- Deroy Murdock: How red tape slows one life-saving drug's path to market - 0
- Sox win in wild walk-off over O's - 0
FlowTraq CEO has his eye on Manchester
Sox win in wild walk-off over O's
CDFA names Caswell new director
Cannon closes out season with 46 trails open
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'