Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Ian Clark on Baseball: Young arms to square off at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium
When the New Hampshire Fisher Cats and Bowie Baysox meet today at 12:05 p.m. at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium, the top pitchers for each team will be on the mound. Sean Nolin (7-3) will go for New Hampshire while Mike Wright (9-2) toes the rubber for Bowie.
"It doesn't really matter who is pitching on the other side," Wright said. "If it's someone that's good, you do know it, but it doesn't really affect how you pitch."
"You've got to throw your own game. If he does really good or really bad you've still got to do your best," Nolin said. "It's kind of pointless to worry about the other guy."
Nolin and Wright do have a connection, however. On a recent road trip to Bowie, Nolin went to dinner with Baysox pitcher Clay Schrader. Nolin and Schrader were college teammates at San Jacinto in Texas. Schrader brought some Bowie teammates along, among them Wright.
Nolin earned a call-up to Toronto in May and was roughed up for six runs in an inning and a third. As MLB debuts go, it wasn't one you want in the clipbook, but the 23-year-old Nolin has handled himself well in the mental aspect of the game.
The 23-year-old Wright is also trying to learn how to manage the mental ups and downs of pro baseball.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Fergus Cullen: The Christmas card many of us wish we could send - 0
- Ben Dick: Teachers had good reason to reject Manchester contract offer - 21
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare: Silence of the insurers - 5
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 2
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford man charged with driving 115 mph on I-93 - 0
- Charges upgraded against man who killed 2 in I-89 crash - 1
- Tilton police search for store robber - 0
- Busy Executive Council confirms judges, PUC commissioner, approves renewable energy grants - 1
- State declares "Air Quality Action Day" in Monadnock region - 0
- Hannaford opening in vacant Stop & Shop building in Exeter - 0
- Charlestown family hospitalized after fire - 0
- No bail for Keene McLeod murder case - 0
- Police identify victim of fatal Milford crash as Merrimack man - 0
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow
Dunbarton nixes man's poultry plan
Popular West High School official moved