Home » News » Roads and Travel
Memorial Bridge ceremony is Thursday in Portsmouth
As of Tuesday, New Hampshire Department of Transportation officials were still unsure when they would take control of the bridge.
As of Tuesday, NH DOT officials were going through a final list to make sure everything has been done according to the construction contract, and that all of the individual components of the new lift bridge are working together as a system.
Boynton said NH DOT will be accepting a safe, operable bridge that can be opened to traffic, but a number of adjustments will need to be made over the next few months.
A pier protection fender system will also be installed as a buffer against passing ships.
United States Senators Jeanne Shaheen, D-NH, Kelly Ayotte, R-NH and Susan Collins, R-Maine, are scheduled to speak during the opening ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m. on the Portsmouth side of the bridge. U.S. DOT Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez and New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan will also speak.
The official ceremony will be preceded by a procession across the Memorial Bridge starting at 10:40 a.m. from the Maine side on Badger’s Island.
When the bridge is opened will determine how vehicular traffic is handled. If it opens today, the bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday. If it does not open today, the bridge will be opened to vehicular traffic some time to be determined much later in the day on Thursday, Boynton said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Bridge renovation will impact Somersworth traffic - 0
- Removal process begins for Boscawen-Canterbury bridge - 1
- Rail study: Three stations for Nashua - 0
- Control of 18-mile stretch of track could affect commuter rail's return to NH - 5
- Potholes expected to plague NH drivers until weather warms - 2
- Popularity of I-93 high-speed tolls spurs surge in EZ Pass use - 5
- Study finds demand for Manchester-Concord public transit - 7
- New Hampshire begins spring ritual: posting road weight limits - 0
- NH DOT to seek bids to build new bridge over Mascoma River in Lebanon - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales