Memorial Bridge ceremony is Thursday in Portsmouth
As of Tuesday, New Hampshire Department of Transportation officials were still unsure when they would take control of the bridge.
As of Tuesday, NH DOT officials were going through a final list to make sure everything has been done according to the construction contract, and that all of the individual components of the new lift bridge are working together as a system.
Boynton said NH DOT will be accepting a safe, operable bridge that can be opened to traffic, but a number of adjustments will need to be made over the next few months.
A pier protection fender system will also be installed as a buffer against passing ships.
United States Senators Jeanne Shaheen, D-NH, Kelly Ayotte, R-NH and Susan Collins, R-Maine, are scheduled to speak during the opening ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m. on the Portsmouth side of the bridge. U.S. DOT Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez and New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan will also speak.
The official ceremony will be preceded by a procession across the Memorial Bridge starting at 10:40 a.m. from the Maine side on Badger’s Island.
When the bridge is opened will determine how vehicular traffic is handled. If it opens today, the bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday. If it does not open today, the bridge will be opened to vehicular traffic some time to be determined much later in the day on Thursday, Boynton said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry Town councilor wants traffic light at English Range Road and Bypass 28 - 1
- Daughter of Korean Air boss goes ‘nuts’ over nuts - 0
- Exit 4A slowly moves forward - 0
- Momentum stalls for sales of hybrid vehicles - 0
- Volkswagen teases a hydrogen-powered Golf - 0
- Removal of 1907 Boscawen bridge less costly than planners expected - 1
- A trio of roundabouts looms a solution to Meredith’s seasonal traffic problem - 0
- Big potential, big subsidies projected in new rail study - 13
- Race to tie up Hampton Beach traffic Sunday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads