Home » News » Public Safety
Three Manchester police officers honored for going above and beyond
It was 11:40 p.m. on March 28 when Officer Robert Megowen was sent to 658 Rimmon St. for a garage fire.
When he arrived, fire already enveloped the garage and was spreading rapidly to an adjoining triple-decker apartment building.
On March 5, two other officers — Michael Dunlap and Richard Valenti Jr. — risked their lives when they waded 15 feet into the Merrimack River to rescue a woman who was sitting up to her neck in the 40-degree river. When Dunlap first saw the reportedly suicidal woman in the river near Arms Park, he quickly grabbed the life-saving orange disk in the trunk of his cruiser and ran to the river's edge to assist Valenti, who already was there attempting to talk to the woman.
Officer Kenneth Chamberlain Jr. also was presented a Certificate of Recognition for his exemplary performance in assisting the training unit with employment background investigations while also doing his primary duties as a traffic investigator.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'