Hundreds ride in NH to raise money to build homes for veterans
"This is our little bit of payback," said Smith.
"We build homes with grading that goes right up to the door, special appliances, roll-in showers and all the details that make it fully adaptive for disabled vets," said Tom Benoit, chief financial officer for the organization.
It isn't cheap. According to Benoit, the average home costs about $400,000, including the land. The organization depends heavily on volunteers and donations.
"In my mind, we're doing what every American should be doing for veterans," said Sands. "It's just the right thing to do. When they come home, we should help these vets 110 percent."
Some, like Frank Doxey of Litchfield, are Vietnam vets who understand the problems people bring home after serving in combat.
"Lawmakers haven't experienced what people go through in Afghanistan and Iraq," he said. "They have no idea what they are sentencing these guys to go through."
"The reason we do this every year is for the chance to help build the homes and hand over the key to a veteran," said Donnelly. "It's an excellent charity."
READER COMMENTS: 5
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
- Londonderry names assistant superintendent - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax