Hundreds ride in NH to raise money to build homes for veterans
"This is our little bit of payback," said Smith.
"We build homes with grading that goes right up to the door, special appliances, roll-in showers and all the details that make it fully adaptive for disabled vets," said Tom Benoit, chief financial officer for the organization.
It isn't cheap. According to Benoit, the average home costs about $400,000, including the land. The organization depends heavily on volunteers and donations.
"In my mind, we're doing what every American should be doing for veterans," said Sands. "It's just the right thing to do. When they come home, we should help these vets 110 percent."
Some, like Frank Doxey of Litchfield, are Vietnam vets who understand the problems people bring home after serving in combat.
"Lawmakers haven't experienced what people go through in Afghanistan and Iraq," he said. "They have no idea what they are sentencing these guys to go through."
"The reason we do this every year is for the chance to help build the homes and hand over the key to a veteran," said Donnelly. "It's an excellent charity."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Guard unit receives award for extraordinary service - 2
- 'NH National Guard Day' proclaimed by governor - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Pearl Harbor survivors remember attack - 0
- NH veterans remember attack on Pearl Harbor - 0
- Family wants remains of Swanzey sailor killed at Pearl Harbor returned for NH burial - 1
- Study of New Hampshire veterans spurs drive to help them - 0
- Wreath laid on Pierce grave in Concord - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Beltran, Yankees make it official
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass