Hundreds ride in NH to raise money to build homes for veterans
"This is our little bit of payback," said Smith.
"We build homes with grading that goes right up to the door, special appliances, roll-in showers and all the details that make it fully adaptive for disabled vets," said Tom Benoit, chief financial officer for the organization.
It isn't cheap. According to Benoit, the average home costs about $400,000, including the land. The organization depends heavily on volunteers and donations.
"In my mind, we're doing what every American should be doing for veterans," said Sands. "It's just the right thing to do. When they come home, we should help these vets 110 percent."
Some, like Frank Doxey of Litchfield, are Vietnam vets who understand the problems people bring home after serving in combat.
"Lawmakers haven't experienced what people go through in Afghanistan and Iraq," he said. "They have no idea what they are sentencing these guys to go through."
"The reason we do this every year is for the chance to help build the homes and hand over the key to a veteran," said Donnelly. "It's an excellent charity."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Making ornaments unite students, vets - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Marines to gather in Gilford - 0
- Sen. Ayotte to help 'Birds' program take flight - 0
- Another View -- Mary Tamposi: No wrong door for our veterans and their families - 0
- Salute to vets Tuesday in Manchester - 0
- ConVal, Souhegan football games to feature tributes to veterans - 0
- Veteran finally tells tale to family about friend who died in war - 0
- Special indicator designates veterans on NH IDs - 0
- Army budget cuts threaten veterans' funeral honor guards - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dyn hosts high school programmers for 'Hack-A-Palooza' competition - 0
- Deliberations begin in trial of former Derry man accused of sex assault - 0
- Mazzaglia pleads guilty to devising escape plan - 0
- Parking lot for new Hudson football field due to be paved - 0
- ACLU files federal suit to stop NH's 'ballot selfie' publishing law - 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Election Day hotline established to report suspected voter fraud, abuse - 2
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
School's out for voters
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four