Mother says she'll fight for right to pray outside Concord school
Bates said he is assisting Liza Urena in the selection of a lawyer to pursue the case.
"I forgave them in my heart and I asked my daughter to forgive them too," she said. "I decided I would pray for them and all the people in the school." Urena said she began her prayers each day at 7 a.m., well before the start of the school day at 7:30, and was finished within 15 minutes.
"The principal and other people said to me, 'Thank you for praying for us,'" she said, "Everything was good until those people reached out from another state,"
Bates said several groups have offered to provide an attorney to represent Urena in a suit claiming her right to free exercise of religion was violated when Rath told her she could no longer pray on the high school steps.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- No Columbus Day celebration, but we'll always have our Festivus poles - 3
- You don't have to be a kid to earn a time-out for your actions - 4
- Publisher's Notebook: Cigars, memories and bending phones - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Not every human gets elected, but that chicken certainly pecked away at the legal system - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Voting is your stamp on the future - 2
- New faces, proven veterans will assure Union Leader's solid hold on the news - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A tough hike to see AMC 'croo,' but finding 'Quos' made the day - 0
- Publisher's Notebook: The candidate who can spell the name of every 80's sports car wins - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 2
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 21
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- 2 Manchester health service groups announce merger - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters