The Swim raises money for Squam Lake loon research
From left, swimmers Mark Longley, Rose de Mars, John Eisner, Carol Zink, Jennifer Marts, Rick Van de Poll, Wendy Van de Poll, and Lisa Davy reached the shore of the Sandwich Town Beach at about noon on Friday after swimming a seven-mile relay across Squam Lake for the 8th annual event The Swim. (LARISSA MULKERN PHOTO)
The relay team completed a seven-mile swim across Squam Lake from the Squam Channel in Holderness to the Sandwich Town Beach in about six hours during this eighth annual event known simply as "The Swim." Swimmers were blessed with decent weather after an early morning rainstorm had passed.
Most members of this year's swim team are veterans of the event. Swimmer Lisa Davy was a newbie.
"I've been wanting to do this for four years," she said after she reached the beach. "It was really fun, an awesome experience."
The Swim enables ongoing research, he said.
"And the great thing about this, it's not just the money we raise — it's also the awareness we raise through this event — by people talking to other people about The Swim, it gets the word out that there's an issue on Squam," Vogel said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- For those in need, New Horizons greenhouse changes everything - 0
- Dartmouth professor names 5 fun, creative stocking stuffers - 0
- Slopeside with Kathleen Humphreys: Skiing and snowboarding are the tip of the resort iceberg at Bretton Woods - 0
- 'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge - 0
- Josh Logan at British Beer Company - 1
- All aboard! Santa Express pulling out for year's last trips - 0
- Kung Fu and Dopapod at Press Room - 0
- Take a peek at Rudders during holidays in Pontine puppet production - 0
- Holiday classic at Kingswood Arts Center - 0
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Slopeside with Kathleen Humphreys: Skiing and snowboarding are the tip of the resort iceberg at Bretton Woods
Josh Logan at British Beer Company
Kwanzaa begins Dec. 26
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH