Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Deciphering grandsons an exercise in word-play
Ike stayed over the other night. Kicked me in the head about a dozen times in his sleep, and helpfully told me in the morning that he had already taken a shower the day before.
This caught my attention. A quick glance to his grandmother provided the explanation.
"He means cradle CAP," she whispered.
The middle boy doesn't say much, but he knows what he wants.
He and Spike invaded the house the other morning and Mike immediately started hunting for the TV remote.
"Show! Show, Pop-Pop!" he commanded, handing me the device.
He kept repeating something, which I take it was the show he wanted. It sounded like "Wiener press conference," but I couldn't find that one on C-SPAN and I wasn't sure it was age-appropriate. I never did figure it out. Instead, I left the remote with his grandmother and headed for work.
She had lost it the previous day. She told me she thought Mike or Ike might have taken it home with them.
I called her number but to my surprise, Mike didn't answer. No one did. Awhile later, I went to check in the garage, on the hunch the phone might have been left in the car. No luck. But when I re-dialed the number, I could hear a faint ring tone.
Write to Joe McQuaid at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
- Veterans help build Nashua Habitat home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Cyber security a fear in NH, too
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten