Auburn's Dudek in 'Select' company
It's a far cry from the first time the 17-year-old Dudek stepped onto the ice back when he was 8 years old. "I didn't like it at all. I'd come off the ice crying. My parents wouldn't let me quit after the first year," Dudek said. "But I stuck with it and when I got to play on the travel team I scored a lot of goals and that made me happy."
"I don't think any of us envisioned the success that he's had to this point," said Joey's father, Joe Dudek. "After he got through the initial concerns about the game, we saw right away that he loved it and he was fortunate early on that had coaches that took him under their wing and helped him catch up to the others on the team."
"Like any other sport, hockey is about finding the open area, the open space. No different from a running back finding a hole, it's the same thing with a hockey player finding the open ice and making things happen," Joe Dudek said. "I think my son's vision, I had it when I played football and my wife (Jodi) had it (as a field hockey player). I used to say there were a lot of running backs that ran as fast as me and were as big or bigger than me, but I think the difference is when you can see the game and slow the game down like I was able to. I see a lot of that in Joey."
Corkum is a Massachusetts native and with most of the U-18 team hailing from Minnesota and the Midwest, he and Dudek have a special New England tie. Dudek was also recruited by Corkum when he was an assistant at Maine.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 23
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 1
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 2
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 82
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 4
- American blessing: The Pilgrims and self-reliance - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840