Allen Lessels' NH Golf: Next stop for Barrett: U.S. Amateur
CHELSO BARRETT of Surry had a day off Friday. Sort of.
And he's vacationing in Maine this week. Sort of.
Barrett, who grew up on the family's Bretwood Golf Club in Keene and comes from a long line of successful golfers, had himself quite a week.
Barrett, 18 and a soon-to-be-freshman at Texas Christian University, won last week's New Hampshire Golf Association Stroke Play championship on the Jungle Course at the Green Meadow Golf Club in Hudson.
He shot a 74 in his opening round on Tuesday and followed it up with a blistering 7-under 65 on Wednesday. He then held off Damon Salo of The Shattuck Golf Club in Jaffrey and Jake Nutter of Manchester Country Club over the 36-hole final on Thursday.
For this week at least, Barrett, who got knocked out of the State Am in the round of 16 earlier in July, was the best of the state's impressive stable of young golfers.
He'll try to relax a bit, as well, in preparation for one of those really big events: He qualified again for the U.S. Amateur and heads to Massachusetts for the tournament on Friday. It starts next Monday, Aug. 12, with 18 holes of medal play at The Country Club of Brookline and the Charles River Club in Newton.
Barrett has played in the U.S. Amateur twice before, but has not advanced to match play.
Barrett heads straight to Texas Christian as soon as he wraps up his stay in the tournament. He's already delayed his arrival in Fort Worth.
"I was supposed to be there on the 13th and at the earliest I'll be there on the 14th," he said.
Texas Christian, a perennial power in Division I golf, opens the season with a tournament in Japan in September.
"I'm getting excited for (college)," he said "It's going to be totally different. . . . And I'm really excited about the trip."
TRACY MARTIN captured her first New Hampshire Women's Golf Association championship on her home Nashua Country Club course on Thursday. Martin, 23, was in a final threesome that included Lisanne Schmidt, 24, of the Eastman Golf Links, and Tracey Marshall, 21, of Abenaqui Country Club in Rye.
Next year's women's State Am will be played at Windham Country Club.
STONEBRIDGE Country Club in Goffstown will be the site of the men's 2014 State Amateur next July.
The men's 2015 State Am will be held at the Mount Washington Resort Golf Cub at Bretton Woods for the first time since the 1960s, Jelley said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett's rush: A careless dash from Manchester - 9
- UNH's good name: Administration fights for it - 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 15
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840