President Obama approves disaster declaration after flooding
Communities in Cheshire, Grafton and Sullivan counties are eligible to receive federal assistance for debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent restoration of damaged infrastructure.
"Communities throughout western New Hampshire experienced significant and widespread damage from the recent severe storm and flooding, and with this major disaster declaration, they will now be able to access critical federal dollars to aid in their recovery," Gov. Maggie Hassan said in a statement.
Total flood damage from June 26 through July 3 exceeded $6.2 million, according to a preliminary damage assessment conducted by state and federal officials. Heavy rains washed out roads and forced evacuations in some parts of western New Hampshire.
The declaration was issued Friday night.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester extends snow emergency; pedestrian injured when hit by plow - 1
- Seacoast digs out from more than a foot of snow - 0
- Snowfall totals in NH vary from 7 inches to more than a foot. - 0
- Manchester police say no major snow-related problems - 2
- Winter storm brings a foot of snow to most of NH - 0
- Slow down NH, and smell the snowplows - 4
- Keep it simple and be prepared for winter storm driving in NH - 0
- Storm packing heavy snow bears down on U.S. Midwest, Northeast - 0
- Manchester declares snow emergency for Saturday night - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos