President Obama approves disaster declaration after flooding
Communities in Cheshire, Grafton and Sullivan counties are eligible to receive federal assistance for debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent restoration of damaged infrastructure.
"Communities throughout western New Hampshire experienced significant and widespread damage from the recent severe storm and flooding, and with this major disaster declaration, they will now be able to access critical federal dollars to aid in their recovery," Gov. Maggie Hassan said in a statement.
Total flood damage from June 26 through July 3 exceeded $6.2 million, according to a preliminary damage assessment conducted by state and federal officials. Heavy rains washed out roads and forced evacuations in some parts of western New Hampshire.
The declaration was issued Friday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
- Spring roads make the going tough - 0
- Water damage displaces North Elementary classrooms - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man clocked doing 100 on Route 11 in Wilmot - 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed