Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
No magic as ex-Sox OF Ross foils Red Sox
Paul Goldschmidt hit a two-run homer for the Diamondbacks, who tagged Boston pitchers for 16 hits.
Randall Delgado (4-3) rode the offensive surge to his fourth straight win and Brad Ziegler picked up his sixth save despite allowing singles to Stephen Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury in the bottom of the ninth. Ziegler made a nice barehanded play on a grounder by Dustin Pedroia and threw to first for the final out.
Ross started in left for Arizona and received mostly cheers in his first at-bat in Boston since he played for the Red Sox last year. He was 3-for-3 with two doubles before his solo homer in the seventh off Pedro Beato (1-1) barely cleared the Green Monster in left field.
Ross had 22 home runs and 81 RBIs in 2012 for Boston and signed with the Diamondbacks as a free agent in December. He said before the game that he felt "jaded" that the Red Sox passed on him before signing free agents Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli.
Delgado started to tire in the sixth. One batter after Jarrod Saltalamacchia came just a yard or two short of a homer to right center, Drew hit one out to almost the same location for a two-run shot that tied it at 6. It was the fourth earned run off Delgado, who had not allowed more than three earned runs in his first eight starts.
Arizona scored six runs off Lester before he left in the top of the fifth after Martin Prado and Ross hit back-to-back RBI doubles as the Diamond backs scored three times for a 6-5 lead.
NOTES: Trade-deadline acquisition Jake Peavy (8-4 with the Chicago White Sox) is scheduled to make his debut for Boston on Saturday against Arizona's Patrick Corbin (12-2) when the three-game series resumes. ... Ellsbury's leadoff triple in the first raised his average in interleague play to .500 (20-for-40). Ellsbury has hit safely in all 10 of Boston's interleague games this season. ... Ortiz was in a 3-for-14 slump before driving the first pitch he saw out of the park. ... The Diamondbacks opened the three-game series with a 4-5 record in interleague games this season.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New squadron operations building at Pease ANG base opens - 0
- Military says ordnance blast killed four U.S. Marines in California - 0
- Pakistani Taliban chief killed in drone strike, possibly scuttling peace talks - 0
- USS Alexandria arrives at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Officials say U.S. commandos capture al Qaeda leader in Libya, also raid Somalia - 3
- Russia, U.S. set deal on Syria - 7
- Kerry demands Syria keep its weapons pledge - 31
- Diplomatic efforts intensify on corralling Syrian chemical arms - 0
- Boston bombing victims to be remembered at 9/11 event in Rindge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released