Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
No magic as ex-Sox OF Ross foils Red Sox
Paul Goldschmidt hit a two-run homer for the Diamondbacks, who tagged Boston pitchers for 16 hits.
Randall Delgado (4-3) rode the offensive surge to his fourth straight win and Brad Ziegler picked up his sixth save despite allowing singles to Stephen Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury in the bottom of the ninth. Ziegler made a nice barehanded play on a grounder by Dustin Pedroia and threw to first for the final out.
Ross started in left for Arizona and received mostly cheers in his first at-bat in Boston since he played for the Red Sox last year. He was 3-for-3 with two doubles before his solo homer in the seventh off Pedro Beato (1-1) barely cleared the Green Monster in left field.
Ross had 22 home runs and 81 RBIs in 2012 for Boston and signed with the Diamondbacks as a free agent in December. He said before the game that he felt "jaded" that the Red Sox passed on him before signing free agents Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli.
Delgado started to tire in the sixth. One batter after Jarrod Saltalamacchia came just a yard or two short of a homer to right center, Drew hit one out to almost the same location for a two-run shot that tied it at 6. It was the fourth earned run off Delgado, who had not allowed more than three earned runs in his first eight starts.
Arizona scored six runs off Lester before he left in the top of the fifth after Martin Prado and Ross hit back-to-back RBI doubles as the Diamond backs scored three times for a 6-5 lead.
NOTES: Trade-deadline acquisition Jake Peavy (8-4 with the Chicago White Sox) is scheduled to make his debut for Boston on Saturday against Arizona's Patrick Corbin (12-2) when the three-game series resumes. ... Ellsbury's leadoff triple in the first raised his average in interleague play to .500 (20-for-40). Ellsbury has hit safely in all 10 of Boston's interleague games this season. ... Ortiz was in a 3-for-14 slump before driving the first pitch he saw out of the park. ... The Diamondbacks opened the three-game series with a 4-5 record in interleague games this season.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child