Squirrels shut down Fisher Cats
Too much good pitching shut down the New Hampshire Fisher Cats on Saturday night.
Richmond's Edwin Escobar (3-2) limited the Fisher Cats to one hit over seven innings, and reliever Cody Hall held them to two hits, leading the Flying Squirrels to a 5-0 victory before 8,244 at The Diamond.
Tommy Manzella had a double, and Gabe Jacobo and Nashua's Kevin Nolan cracked singles for New Hampshire, which had posted a 5-2 win in Friday night's series opener.
Richmond's big outburst was a four-run third inning. The hosts collected six straight hits in the inning off starter and loser Marcus Walden (6-12), including a run-scoring double by Adam Duvall. Richmond added an insurance run in the eighth on a Ryan Lollis RBI single.
The teams conclude their series today at 2 p.m. in Richmond.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Volunteers sought for discipline committees
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840