Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Driver haunted by newlywed crash
Leah Fonda Preiss, left, was killed in a Rollinsford car accident on July 20. Matthew Tsopas, of Somersworth, has been charged in the crash.
The Stratham man was driving on Roberts Road in Rollinsford when, he said, a car came racing up behind him.
Fearing the driver was impaired, Myers dialed 911 and gave the operator a detailed account of everything he saw.
"If people see some behavior like this, call and maybe you can stop a person before they destroy a lot of lives," Myers said Thursday.
On the day of the deadly accident, Myers had just left a shop he operates in Rollinsford for his business, StrathamWood Studios, when he said a car approached him from behind on Roberts Road at a high rate of speed.
"I was looking in the mirror and I could see he was swerving," said Myers, who worried that Tsopas would try to pass and hit a vehicle in the opposite direction.
"I just wanted to see which way he was going and wanted to relay that to police. I hoped they would pull him over before something happened," Myers said.
Myers said the crash happened about 200 feet in front of him.
"He went into the left-hand lane. It was nearly head-on. Their car spun around and ended up in my travel lane," Myers recalled.
"He is walking down Old Mill Lane … in his underwear. This guy is obviously drunk," Myers told a dispatcher in the 911 call.
Dover fire and rescue personnel were on their way to another call when they approached the accident scene.
At the time of the crash, Myers didn't know that the victims were newlyweds.
"I didn't even know they were from out of state. I just knew there were two people in a car who were seriously hurt," he said. "It's heartbreaking. I've had the whole range of emotions … angry, sad," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 1
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
- Salem child porn arrest after tip leading to cloud storage of images - 0
- Manchester woman suffers injuries in dragging incident - 0
- Judge orders fired Manchester officer back to jail to finish sentence - 8
- Claremont police dispatcher charged with sex assault and incest, placed on leave - 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
- Total Votes: 917