Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
AG: Young men found in a Springfield shack in 2012 died in suicide pact
The bodies of Tom Pursell, 19, and Lester Snide, 23, were discovered by a juvenile on a hike in the area on April 19, 2012. Police found a rifle and two suicide notes at the scene and soon after said all indications were that Snide shot and killed Pursell, and then shot himself.
Evidence at the scene suggested the men had been deceased in the shed since mid- to late-December of 2011.
In his final report on the deaths, issued Friday morning, Attorney General Joseph Foster said no criminal charges will be filed and the case is closed.
"Lester Snide and Clifford Pursell were friends at the time of their deaths. Both had struggled with thoughts of suicide in the past," according to the final report. "Snide was having difficulties while on parole and had stated many times that he would kill himself before he ever went back to prison. Pursell had recently learned discouraging news about life plans and was taking it hard."
Based on the evidence, according to the report, the deaths were the result of a "suicide pact."
Officials quoted from the suicide notes found at the scene. Purcell wrote, "Lester didn't murder me. I asked him to do it," while Snide's note was titled, "This is my final goodbye."
After a childhood riddled with abuse, neglect and abandonment, Snide first came to the public's attention in June 2007, when he broke into the Springfield Police Station and stole a shotgun with the intention of shooting himself.
Pursell's mother, Sandra Pursell, said her son had been depressed because he was not going to realize his dream of joining the Army due to medical reasons.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 3
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 0
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424